College of Engineering
Sariyer, Istanbul, Turkey, 34450
Tel: 90 + (212)-338-1721
Fax: 90 + (212)-338-1548
I conduct interdisciplinary research in the areas of man-machine interfaces (in particular haptics), control systems, mechatronics, robotics, biomechanics, physics-based modeling and simulation, 3D computer graphics, and virtual reality technology (see Google Scholar). Before joining to Koc University, I was a senior member of technical staff at NASA-Jet Propulsion Laboratory of California Institute of Technology from 1999 to 2002. I moved to JPL from Massachusetts Institute of Technology where I was a research scientist and principal investigator at MIT Research Laboratory of Electronics and a member of the MIT Touch Lab from 1996-1999. I received my Ph.D. degree from Southern Methodist University in 1994 and worked as a research scientist at Northwestern University Research Park (with MusculoGraphics Inc.) for two years before moving to Boston.
Ongoing Research Projects at Robotics and Mechatronics Laboratory (RML):
· Characterization of material properties of soft tissues using a robotic indenter (Student profile: ME, Biomedical Eng.)
· New control techniques for nano-scanning using a piezo-actuated probe (Student profile: ME, EE, Control Eng.)
· Mechatronics design and development of an experimental set-up for nano-robotics (Student profile: ME, EE, Control Eng., Physics)
· Haptic tele-manipulation of micro-scale objects using optical tweezers (Student profile: ME, EE, Control Eng., Physics)
· A virtual reality interface with haptic feedback for nano-manipulation (Student profile: ME, CE/CS)
· Real-time 3D graphical and haptic simulation of deformable objects (Student profile: CE/CS)
· Information and data visualization using 3D graphics and haptics (Student profile: CE/CS)
· Graphical and haptic simulation of molecular docking (Student profile: CE/CS)
· Human perception and cognition in multimodal virtual environments (Student profile: CE/CS)
Prospective Students: My group consists of students with mixed educational backgrounds. M.S. and Ph.D. students who are interested in control systems, mechatronics, robotics, nano/micro systems, biomechanics, and biomedical engineering are encouraged to apply through the Mechanical Engineering program. M.S. and Ph.D. students who are interested in human-computer interaction, computer graphics, robotic motion planning, physics-based modeling and simulation, and virtual reality technology are encouraged to apply through the Computational Sciences and Engineering program (learn more about the application procedure). Prospective students are always welcome to visit our laboratory to learn more about our research.
· Research Summary (as appeared in Koc University’s Research Magazine, June 2009, English)
· NTV-MSNBC, Yakin Plan, March 2008 (video, Turkish)
· NewScientist Tech, March 2008 (Weather map interface lets you feel the wind, English)
IEEE World Haptics 2011 was in Istanbul.
click to enlarge