Hakan Urey is a Professor of Electrical Engineering at Koç University, Istanbul, Turkey. He was a visiting Professor at Boğaziçi University, Turkey and Cambridge University, UK during 2013. He received the BS degree from Middle East Technical University, Ankara, in 1992, and MS and Ph.D. degrees from Georgia Institute of Technology in 1996 and in 1997, all in Electrical Engineering. He worked for Bilkent University-Ankara and Georgia Tech Research Institute-Atlanta as a graduate research assistant, and Call/Recall Inc.-San Diego as a consultant during his graduate studies. After completing his PhD, he joined Microvision Inc.-Seatt le as Research Engineer and he played a key role in the development of the Retinal Scanning Display technology. He was the Principal System Engineer when he left Microvision to join the faculty of engineering at Koç University in 2001. He was promoted to Associate Professor in 2007 and Professor in 2010.
He has more than 30 issued and pending patents, which have been licensed to five companies for commercialization and resulted in 2 spin-off companies. He published about 160 papers in international journals and conferences. He received the Werner Von Siemens faculty excellence award in 2006, TÜBA (Turkish Academy of Sciences) Distinguished Young Scientist award in 2007, Encouragement award from the Turkish Scientific and Technical Research Council (TUBITAK) in 2009, Outstanding Faculty award from Koc University in 2013, and European Research Council Advanced Grant (ERC-AdG) in 2013 to develop next generation wearable and 3D display technologies.
Download PDF presentation for information about my research group and projects (2013).
Download 20min video (in Turkish – TRT2, Gelecege Umutlu Bakmak Programi, Ocak 2009).
Article in Turkish (Arastirma projelerimiz ile ilgili ozet 3 sayfalik makale )
• Ph.D, 1997, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, Electrical and Computer Engineering
• M. Sc., 1996, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, Electrical and Computer Engineering
• Graduate Study, 1993, Bilkent University, Ankara, Electrical and Electronics Engineering
• B. Sc., 1992 Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Electrical Engineering
• High School Diploma, 1987, Izmir Fen Lisesi
• ELEC 202 - Circuit Analysis, Offered in Spring Semester
• ELEC 321 - Introduction to Optics, Offered in Fall Semester
• ECOE 522 - Introduction to Micro-Opto-Electro-Mechanical Systems, Offered in Fall Semester
• ECOE 523 - Optical Information Processing, Offered in Spring Semester